Category Archives: PreviousShowhouses

2019 – 606 W 52nd Street

The Georgian Revival house across from Loose Park was completed in 1922, but we don’t have the architect’s name. The first family to live there was Guy H. McCanles and his wife Marie and their children. He was a contractor and developer who specialized in apartment construction in Kansas City, but he also erected over…
Read more

2018 – 445 W 56th Street

445 W. 56th Street, Kansas City, MO The colonial house at the corner of 56th and Pennsylvania was built for Andrew Young and his wife Bertha in 1915.  Mr. Young was the general manager of the Montgomery Ward catalogue service center at 6200 St. John Avenue, Kansas City, MO.  At that time Montgomery Ward and…
Read more

2017 – 816 Gleed Terr

The Story of the 48th Symphony Designers’ Showhouse The building of the large limestone house at 816 Gleed Terrace, Kansas City, Missouri was begun in 1908, but we don’t find a listing of occupants in the City Directory until 1910. This modified colonial revival home was one of the earliest houses in the newly platted…
Read more

2016 – 444 Westover Rd

The building permits for the English Tudor house at 444 Westover Road were taken out by H. E. Hucke in 1925. Mr. Hucke was a son of George Victor Hucke who owned George Hucke & Sons contractors. One of the firm’s other prominent buildings is the apartment building at 4533-39 Roanoke Parkway on the Country…
Read more